September 2012 course details
Monday 10 September 2012
Friday 12 October 2012
9.30 am to 3.30 pm, Monday to Friday
followed by the possibility of four (4) weeks work placement.
UWSCollege at Westmead.
Develop job search strategies for the Australian employment market
Skillmax PLUS is a course for jobseekers with workplace experience opportunities for migrants with IELTS 6.0 or equivalent.
This course is:
- for skilled migrants seeking employment in their chosen profession
- a fast track course to prepare qualified professionals to enter the Australian workforce
- funded by the NSW Government
- free for eligible participants.
Human resource specialists and employers will provide sessions on the current expectations of finding work and career advice. They will also provide interactive workshops.
On successful completion of the course, you will have the opportunity to undertake work experience. Work experience opportunities will be arranged through UWS Careers and Cooperative Education.
Students can obtain Statements of Attainment for modules within the Certificate IV in Spoken and Written English. This qualification is recognised throughout Australia.
Important information regarding work experience for successful applicants:
- Students must complete the course component of the Skillmax PLUS program in order to proceed to the work experience component.
- UWS Careers and Cooperative Education will endeavour to find students a work experience opportunity that is related to their field of expertise.
- The work experience will take place during the work hours nominated by the employer.
- Students must consider the issues if they have other committments such as casual jobs, overseas travel or study that may interfere with a work experience opportunity.
- Students need to decide whether they can committ to the work experience opportunity before they accept a place in the course.
- All work experience must be completed within 12 weeks of the course commencement.
- develop a greater awareness of workplace culture and trends in the Australian labour market
- find your fit in your field of expertise
- develop a career portfolio including your resume and cover letter
- prepare strategies to identify employment opportunities
- prepare for the job interview
- manage your career
- market yourself effectively
- understand workplace language, customs and culture.
To be eligible, you must:
- be a permanent Australian resident
- have overseas qualifications
- be seeking work in your field of expertise
- have an IELTS score of 6.0 or equivalent.
You will also need to provide the following documents:
- current visa page of your passport
- your qualifications (English translations)
- IELTS Test Report Form or equivalent (TRF).
UWSCollege Westmead campus
Building J, Level 2
158 Hawkesbury Road
Westmead NSW 2145
Skillmax PLUS is funded by the NSW Government in partnership with the NSW Adult Migrant English Service (NSW AMES) and UWSCollege.
To apply for Skillmax courses or for more information, please contact the Professional and Community Programs unit at UWSCollege.
Freecall 1800 222 423
Ph: (02) 9685 9713