Standard Program (three terms)
UWS Course Code: 7020
CRICOS Course Code: 069055D
Note: This course may not be offered for all intakes. For further information, visit the Academic Intake Dates section of the website.
TheUWSCollege Diploma in Social Science seeks to equip all students with introductory interdisciplinary and specialist skills and knowledge which form the basis for further study in the Bachelor of Social Science at the University of Western Sydney (UWS). It also offers a foundation unit in Academic English as an additional skill for tertiary level study.
The Diploma in Social Science is ideal for students who have not gained direct entry to the UWS Bachelor of Social Science and want the opportunity to improve their entry qualifications while preparing for university study.
You will study the following units in your Standard Program:
- Academic English*
- Cultural and Social Geographies
- Crime, Deviance and Society
- Inequalities and Difference
- Tertiary Study Skills*
- The Geographies of Social Difference
- The Individual in Society
- Understanding Society
- Working with Communities
- Working with Cultural Differences.
*No advanced standing at university will be granted for these units.
For more information regarding unit and course descriptions, refer to the UWS Handbook.
For information on intake dates for this course, refer to theAcademic Intake Datessection of the website.
You will need to satisfy both requirements below to be eligible for entry.
- Academic entry requirements
Minimum entry requirements are successful* completion of Australian Year 12 or equivalent or UWSCollege University Foundation Studies or equivalent.
For students who have completed UWSCollege University Foundations Studies, the entry requirement is a Grade Point Average of 5.5 or higher.
For information on country-specific entry requirements, see UWS International **Academic Requirements (PDF, 226Kb).
- English entry requirements
International students must satisfy one of the following language requirements:
- IELTS 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in each sub-band
- completion of UWSCollege EAP 4 course with a 50% pass in all assessments
- completion of UWSCollege EAP 5 course with a 50% pass in all assessments
- a "C" result in the University Foundation Studies English unit
- a result in the UWSCollege entrance test of IELTS 6.0 or equivalent.
* Successful completion means gaining a 50% pass in all required units.
** The information in the publication is correct as at 18 October 2012. The University of Western Sydney reserves the right at all times to vary information within this publication.
You can complete this diploma in one year of full-time study (three terms).
Each unit is assessed through a combination of continual assessment and mid-term and final examinations. Details for each unit are contained in the individual Unit Outlines.
Successful completion of the Diploma in Social Science provides advanced standing of 80 credits points (equivalent to a year of study) in the Bachelor of Social Science at UWS.
To successfully complete your diploma, you will need at least a 50% pass in all required units.
For further information, please see: